Open full view…

Measuring Vehicle Level

Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:34:58 GMT

Hi all, I've read 40-0003 in the maintenance manual which describes using some very specialized tools for measuring the vehicle level for all w124s, using the specs given in 40-0001. I'm guessing that the measurement is a comparison between some point on the frame and some point on the wishbone, for the front, and some point on the frame to some point on rear axle shaft for the rear, but god knows which points. Does anyone have this information?? Also, I'm assuming all adjustment is done via replacement of the spring buffers. By the way, I'm doing this because I have installed the 'sports chassis' on my '94 e420 and would like to do this before getting an alignment and, no, there is no Mercedes dealer or good Indy within a reasonable drive (I'm in Vermont). Thanks! -- Greg

190E fan
Sun, 04 Jul 2021 16:19:33 GMT

I think your best bet then would be to contact the MB Classic Center. They'll be able to answer your W124 measuring questions.

Sun, 04 Jul 2021 16:27:03 GMT

Currently going through the same thing on the 107. On the 107 this is done by measuring the vertical distance between the center line of the lower control arm bolts and bottom of the ball joint on the earlier 107's or a measuring point just inside the ball joint on the later 107's. The back is pretty much the same procedure. it is adjusted by changing spring shims and or springs. Essentially you are measuring and adjusting the control arm angles.

Sun, 11 Jul 2021 03:00:45 GMT

Excellent description, Roncallo!

Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:26:07 GMT

Thanks all!

Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:11:31 GMT

The current factory method is using a Romess Inclinometer, inputted into SDS.

Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:37:58 GMT

I don't think the 107 or 124 has the appropriate pads to install the Romess Inclinometer?

Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:11:08 GMT

They have two real axle shafts and two front lower control arms . . .

Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:36:59 GMT

I was looking at a video of how the Romess Inclinometer works for the Mercedes. It appears there are pads to place the inclinometer on for the newer cars. But the 107 has no such pads and no good flat section on the lower control arm to place an inclinometer. It would seam to me you could use it with some kind of adapter but there is data in the 107 manual of what the inclination of the front control arm is supposed to be or what the rear axels should be. There fore it seams to me the only way to do it would be to set one up correctly with the original tools and then measure those values. But I'm still on step one, setting up with the original tools so I can get those angles.