That's correct, it should be start + intakes - outcomes = end. Before investigating further, do you have the latest version of the report? You can make sure that you do by going to Settings->Reports, deleting your version of it and reinstalling it with the Browse sheltermanager.com button.
I did edit the SQL in order to count animals by type rather than entry reason. Was much easier this way that trying to specify each entry reason. But I don't see how that should be affecting the numbers -- have checked each entry half a dozen times
The latest version of the report no longer counts by entry reason (with the exception of strays). It uses the original owner to infer surrenders and the transfer in flag for transfers. Rewriting the intake counts could absolutely be affecting the figures.
Does the report include Trial Adoptions in the start and end counts?
The numbers on the original report (just downloaded) are not in correct categories due to different "stray" entry reasons (animals brought in through animal control are stray but have entry reasons specific to the type of complaint. Additionally, a stray animal brought in sick or injured has a "sick/injured" entry reason rather than stray) (These specific entry reasons are helpful for other statistical purposes. ) Also, the original report is showing 0 cats/kittens returned when 9 kittens did return from foster. The original is recording owner surrenders base on there being an Original owner entered (and entry reason not stray.) The issue here is having other entry reasons that still apply to strays and during the selected time period and cat was owner surrendered by a family member (original owner passed away) and no information was gathered to enter into for the original owner. Thus, 1 owner surrender cat appearing on the original report and the correct number of 2 appearing on the edited report. The report edited to use animal type (edited from fresh download) is more accurate as far as correct intake categories . A change I noticed was the dogs returned went from 3 on the original to 4 on the edited report. 4 dogs were returned in June -- 2 from adoption, 1 from foster and 1 from a trial adoption. While the math works out for the original report the information displayed is not correct. But the edited displays correct info, the the math is not consistent (Dogs are +1 and kittens are +9). I have go to be missing something somewhere. [SAC original](//muut.com/u/sheltermanager/s2/:sheltermanager:Jfs3:sacoriginal.png.jpg) [SAC Animaltype](//muut.com/u/sheltermanager/s2/:sheltermanager:IIEU:sacanimaltype.png.jpg)
Fosters are not counted in the SAC report on purpose - they are irrelevant as far as SAC are concerned since they only care about intake and outcomes. Foster returns are neither. Trial adoptions are included as regular adoptions in the outcomes section of SAC. Your change to use types means that animals from some areas are being missed - the set of possible intake conditions should cover all possibilities so that no animal is missed. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not taking the time to debug a report that you broke when the one that we supply works correctly. It sounds like your sick/injured problem could be cured by renaming the entry category to "Stray - Sick/Injured", that way the report will pick it up as a stray and it's clearer in your data too that the animal was a stray as well as sick and injured. If you start recording the original owner from now on, you'll be fine calculating surrenders in future and for historic data, you could look up the number of animals based on your type and adjust the figures manually - ie. subtract your calculated surrenders fro m the other intakes number and inflate surrenders. It's better if you can get the report to work for you as it is as you can take advantage of the monthly export version of it to get a file you can upload straight to SAC without having to hand enter your figures.
Was just hoping the animal type would be possible and maybe I was just missing something. Achieving correct data entry has been an on going personnel issue. Entry reasons and original owners are not entered (or the info even obtained) correctly and consistently. Therefore, the animal type would have saved me from correcting each record before running the report. Thanks for the input.